Sam I Am

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Swamp Tour

We finished off our mini-trip with a swamp tour in Southeast Louisiana is an area called Honey Island. Honey Island earned its name because of it's honeybees. The "island" lies between the East Pearl and West Pearl rivers. Honey Island is between 3 and 7 miles wide and 15 to 20 miles long.
We took a morning tour because it was going to be another hot day and a swamp is one of the last places we wanted to be on hot day.
The main attraction were of course the alligators. We had to look hard to find them because they swim with just their eyes poking out of the water.

There were a lot of Cyprus trees in the swamp.
Our guide would lure the alligators out of the water by sticking a marshmallow or hot dog at the end of a stick.

We're definitely in the deep south.
Our guide knew all the alligators by name. He said he grew up in the area and there was no danger swimming in the swamp. Knowing this I still don't think I would go swimming.
I hope this alligator doesn't think I look like a hot dog. Our guide said we should keep our hands inside the boat, because fingers could look like hot dogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home